[_] React Native vs Native

Tom Spencer fiznool at gmail.com
Thu May 9 22:18:14 BST 2019

As a React Native developer I agree with everything that Dan has said. It’s
important to remember that React Native is an abstraction - just like any,
you’ll eventually hit the limits of the abstraction, meaning that a RN app
will likely never be as slick a fully native app. If polish is important
from day 1, you should probably take the hit up front and build out fully
native.

If, however, you’d prefer to get something out quickly (e.g. an MVP) in
order to validate your thinking, then RN will likely get you there faster,
particularly if you already have JavaScript and/or React expertise in the
team. You will still need to deal with the individual platforms at some
stage - especially when it comes to beta testing and app submission - but
this can be kept to a minimum, at least to start with. Then, once you have
validated your assumptions and you feel like you are hitting the limits of
RN, you could consider a rewrite.

If you have time, I would suggest building a simple app in both RN and
native iOS/Android, and seeing which you prefer. As Dan mentions, you’ll
likely need to at least understand native iOS/Android code when building a
RN app anyway, so even if you decide to go with RN the knowledge gained in
native will be very useful. You’ll also get valuable experience with Xcode
and Android Studio, and get a feel for how the respective projects are
structured.

Finally, as a shameless plug, I provide training for newcomers to the RN
ecosystem, should you need anything of that sort. In addition, I can highly
recommend Dan if you decide to go native! ��