[_] Small Computer

Oliver Humpage oliver at watershed.co.uk
Mon Jun 24 17:39:01 BST 2019

We use an Odroid C2 to power our 4k monitor dashboard (although might switch that to a pi 4 at some point, now it can support 4k). Seems pretty reliable.

The next step up is probably something like an Intel NUC, although not sure how many support an internal 3.5” drive.

However…

You’re right that SD cards are annoying. Especially if the user is prone to power cuts or pulling the plug out - sudden power loss tends to corrupt them very easily. We now netboot every pi on our network to avoid this, but I guess that’s less easy at client sites. However, with some caveats you can set the pi to boot from a USB device rather than SD: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bootmodes/msd.md

As for crashing, the most times we’ve seen Pis crash is when the PSU isn’t giving out the right voltage, or has some fault with it. Might be worth replacing that (and making sure you’ve definitely got the full 2.5A available for the Pi 3). Or if this particular one keeps crashing, it might just be a lemon which needs swapping out in its entirety.

So it might be possible to carry on using the cheaper Pis - depends how much R&D you want to put in :)

Oliver