[_] New WiFi router or a mesh network

Wilkes, Matthew matt at matthewwilkes.name
Tue Feb 12 14:09:26 GMT 2019

Personally, I'm completely sold on the Unifi system. Really great gear, all
PoE based. It's not the cheapest but it's definitely value for money.

I'd personally say to use the EE router only as a modem and then have a
couple of APs in your house and one in the office all wired together
through their controller and switch offerings. I would avoid mesh unless
it's a single manufacturer system and I had mixed results with power line.

An alternative that's cheaper is just to get a decent AP, like the unifi
ones and provision that alone with a low transmit power. Then hook that up
to your existing wired network.

You'll get the best results from multiple APs on low power connected by
ethernet. 2nd best is mesh if you have a homogenous set of mesh APs and
nothing else broadcasting the SSID.

Matt