[_] Sharepoint UX stories to share?

Ben Stevens. craptiger at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 29 16:05:56 BST 2019

Anyone out there with any experience they can share (no pun intended) of building a user friendly interface to sharepoint for the purposes of an enterprise document management system?

Currently having a very challenging time with a Sharepoint development consultancy who seem to think an out of the box deployment with minimal configuration will offer my client a satisfactory user experience.

As an example, my view (and that of the project sponsor) is that forcing our (not very IT literate) users to use the little “funnel” icon and column headings to filter / search for content is inadequate.  Surely it’s possible to build a super user friendly front end without totally breaking the Microsoft upgrade path (it’s sharepoint 365 / online).

Imagine if Amazon used sharepoint search / filters rather than their left column filters that ask you for Size, Colour, Style, Price Range etc?  That’s pretty much what we’re being told is our only option and I’m struggling to believe it’s really that crap?!

Alternatively if anyone can recommend any better alternatives that offer document collaboration & approval workflows, version control, compliance tracking, notifications etc I’d love to hear of them.

Thanks