[_] Cabling the house

Keith Jackson keith at minotech.co.uk
Tue Apr 23 08:37:45 BST 2019

I'd +1 CAT 7 - The cable cost is fractional to effort and disruption. You want to future proof that as far as possible.

Agreed that right now Cat 7 is overkill, but better that its still relevant in 10 years for the sake of a few quid. I did mine about 3 years ago and my 2 key spines both run CAT 7 but almost everything connected up uses CAT 6 or CAT 6E cables with a couple of notable exceptions, simply due to matching cables to device capability - if you want to save a bit do it there where you can reuse old cables for older devices without the bandwidth.

Keith Jackson
CEO
The Ministry of Technology