[_] Cabling the house

Tom Spencer fiznool at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 07:44:28 BST 2019

IMHO cat7 and cat6a are way overkill for a home installation. They were
designed to support 10gig speeds at and beyond 100m cable lengths, are
shielded so require very precise termination, and are very expensive
compared to cat6. If cat6 cable is laid and terminated well then you’ll be
able to achieve 10gig or approaching 10gig speeds in a home environment
(provided each cable is <50m long, which it will be unless you live in
Ashton Court).

Maybe you misread my original post - I was talking about cat5e and cat6
rather than ‘cat6e’, indeed cat6e isn’t actually a standard! It’s a bit of
a minefield sometimes with all the cable types.