[_] Cabling the house

Tom Spencer fiznool at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 19:03:49 BST 2019

I’ve just gone through a rewire and opted for connectix cat6 cable
throughout. Their online shop is www.cablemonkey.co.uk but you can also
find good deals on eBay.

We asked our electrician to lay the cables and he did a good job. You just
need to remember not to bend the cable too much or run network cables
directly parallel to mains electricity ones (leave around 10cm separation
or so). Termination at the patch panel and wall outlets is fairly
straightforward with the correct tools, but I opted to get a professional
to do the termination - Adam at
www.amg-solutions.co.uk did a good job here and was very reasonable.

FWIW Adam did say that many businesses are still opting for cat5e given
that 10gig equipment is few and far between. Unless you are blessed with
FTTP or have the equipment and the need to send data between devices on
your local network, you won’t see any benefit using cat6 over cat5e.
However, given that cat6 is not that much more expensive, and rewiring
isn’t a pleasant or cheap job, I would consider cat6 a good investment for
future proofing, if and when 10gig equipment becomes affordable and
broadband speeds start exceeding 1Gbps.

Happy to answer any more questions, I spent hours and hours researching all
of this very recently! ��