[_] Hosting Question

Oliver Humpage oliver at watershed.co.uk
Mon Apr 15 15:06:37 BST 2019

In general a domain belongs to a Registrant. That’s literally the name on the domain registration, not who pays the bills or who owns the 123-reg account. Unfortunately because of GDPR we can’t see who that is any more in whois so hard to tell.

Anyway, if the registrant name matches the business (or owner’s) name then you’re good: just use https://secure.nominet.org.uk/flows/reestablish-identity.html

It *might* be possible to use that service if there’s a way of demonstrating there was a contract where the dev registered the domain on behalf of the company (I guess the “permission to do so” bit on that page) but it’s unlikely.

After that you get into domain dispute territory, which takes time and up to £200. https://www.nominet.uk/domain-support/uk-domain-disputes/

Best shout is just to call up Nominet https://www.nominet.uk/contact-us/ and talk with them.

Oliver