[_] wordpress/cache(?) update weirdness

Oliver Humpage oliver at watershed.co.uk
Tue Nov 6 14:19:54 GMT 2018

> On 6 Nov 2018, at 14:08, Chris Dawson <chris at tallhat.com> wrote:
>
> an update (yes i'd worked through all of the 'obvious' stuff ;).
> it does appear to be related to server cache. we requested a new root
> password via the digital ocean control panel, which reboots the
> droplet. this actually fixed the cache/update issue!

That’s very odd - can’t think of any kind of cache that behaves like you described. MySQL query caches are expunged if the data updates, filesystem caches would be irrelevant, and by default web servers don’t cache at all. So unless they’ve snuck in a special invisible wordpress cache plugin (perhaps in mu-plugins?) no idea where it could be happening.

If they’ve said “use the terminal” what are they actually telling you to do in the terminal? And is “server cache” explained anywhere (the term by itself is meaningless)?

Oliver.