[_] Kubernetes

Shane McEwan shane at mcewan.id.au
Fri Nov 2 04:50:30 GMT 2018

I'm in a similar boat. I've been working as a sysadmin for 28 years and
have progressed from circuit board-level fault diagnosis, to building
custom hardware with off the shelf components, to racking pre-built
servers, to configuring bare-metal servers in remote datacentres, to
deploying servers in the cloud, to deploying Docker apps in Kubernetes,
to deploying serverless Lambda apps.

However, I don't feel that my job is any easier, or I need fewer skills,
I just need to know different stuff. I also think that the need for
those skills isn't diminishing but yes, as you say, it needs constant
upskilling.

Where I work now the developers are responsible for deploying their
apps. They call on my advice for the best way to deploy and I will
provide tooling such as CloudFormation templates that implement best
practice for security groups, IAM roles, CI pipelines, etc. The devs
then build their application to work within that framework. They
participate in the on-call roster (I provide secondary support) and take
responsibility for their app.

That is what DevOps means to me. I still call myself a Sysadmin. I don't
think there is such a thing as a Devops Engineer. Devops is about
Sysadmins enabling Developers to create and deploy secure, functional
and performant apps.

Shane.