[_] Kubernetes

Martin Wheatley martin at spodnet.net
Thu Nov 1 17:15:31 GMT 2018

On 01/11/2018 17:04, Andrew Holway wrote:
> Hi Y'all,
>
> I've been in the infrastructure field for nearly 15 years and have called
> myself a DevOps or Site Reliability Engineer for the last five. With the
> advent of Kubernetes, however, I have found that my DevOps role has almost
> completely been automated away.
>
> This placed me into a conundrum. My deep experience in networking and
> storage was previously made redundant by the cloud, and now my deep
> knowledge of the cloud is being made redundant by Kubernetes!
>
> Rather than struggling to remain relevant in a rapidly disappearing
> profession, I have found a new way to deliver value to development teams.
> With the help of learning experts, I work on delivering DevOps knowledge
> and ownership directly to developers, negating the need for DevOps
> Engineers.
>
> If this sounds interesting, feel free to take a look at our website:
> https://otter.ly. If you'd just like to learn more about Kubernetes, you
> can book a time to talk with me here: https://calendly.com/otter-andrew
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andrew Holway
> https://otter.ly
> Otter Networks

Interesting view...

I was under the impression that as a developer I just want to hand over
my source for deployment to devops to do the deploy magic, so there is
still a need for devops to exist. They still need to write the
automation, and manage what's happening on the servers. Are you
suggesting that we get rid of those high paid devops and let the devs
manage everything ? I'm not sure I'd like some developers I've worked
with in the past near this sort of thing ;)

I've spent the last 25 years working as a developer and sys admin, so
always had a hands on approach, just never got around to doing much
automation, which over the last few years is certainly where things seem
to have gone. I'm about to start a new position, and I suspect I'll be
implementing a lot of automation to make things run smoother at some
point...

Martin