[_] OT: Installing wood burner

Rick Hurst rick.hurst at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 10:52:00 GMT 2013

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 9:44 AM, Shane McEwan <shane at mcewan.id.au> wrote:

> I wonder if something like this:
> http://www.maplin.co.uk/12v-4-in-1-rechargeable-car-heater-588748 would do
> the trick? Hook it up to your solar panel. If you're not using the heater
> the panel will be charging the battery. If the sun is shining run the heater
> directly off the panel. If it's dark run it off the batteries.

Have you read the reviews? Sounds like the batteries only provide
about 5 minutes of unimpressive heat, and the high speed setting
requires 8 amps, so you would need a big leisure battery and hefty
solar panel to keep it running for any length of time.

Shame really as I thought it might be a good thing to have in my
campervan* - apparently an oil filled radiator is the most efficient
thing to use in a small space if mains is available, and propane/
diesel blown air heater if you are off-grid . I have just (re)fitted a
propex blown air heater, which runs off butane or propane and has a
flue which vents to the outdoors - works incredibly well - just needs
a few minutes to warm the van up.

* I'll always try to derail the topic to start talking about campervan
related things if at all possible ;) http://campervanthings.com

--
Rick Hurst
http://www.rickhurst.co.uk