[_] Candle powere flower pot heater

Matt Hamilton matth at netsight.co.uk
Mon Nov 18 13:38:23 GMT 2013

On 18 Nov 2013, at 11:52, adam armfield <adamairmailed at yahoo.com> wrote:

> i had another idea about using a 12v soldering iron as the heat source and a 12v fan to blow the hot (or, not cold) air in the right direction but thats all rather more involved ;)

A soldering iron will be about 120W or so. At the end of the say 120W is 120W regardless of how you produce it or what you then bolt to it, add to it, surround it with.

120W is a large incandescent light bulb. If a large lightbulb is enough to keep your rom warm, then go for it. But I don’t think it will generate enough heat for you.

Similarly a candle emits about 70W of heat/light combined. Even assuming all of that was heat (which most of it is) then compare that to a 1KW ‘single bar fire’. Or your typical small £15-from-argos fan heater which is 1-2KW.So a single candle is going to give you something like 1/14th to 1/28th of a cheap fan heater. You will need a lot of them to make any significant contribution to the heat of your room.

-Matt

--
Matt Hamilton, Technical Director
Netsight Internet Solutions Limited

Registered in England No. 3892180
Registered office: 40 Berkeley Square, Clifton, Bristol, BS8 1HU