[_] Cyclist deaths in London

Stewart stewart at novate-it.co.uk
Thu Nov 14 13:37:50 GMT 2013

You could almost set your watch by this debate!

I think one factor is 'undertaking'; in the UK we're taught (as drivers of cars) not to do it, if you want to get past it has to be on the right hand side (ie overtake). And yet cyclists and motorcyclists undertake as a matter of course. In pretty much every other country you can pass on either side of a vehicle so drivers pay equal attention to both sides. Drivers in the UK *should* pay equal attention to both sides but the driving laws here make that less of a habit.

As a cyclist I'm guilty of this too, but I refrain from getting irate if I end up coming unstuck as it feels like my fault.