[_] Bristol Cycling Manifesto Site

Matt Hamilton matth at netsight.co.uk
Fri May 31 11:24:23 BST 2013

On 31 May 2013, at 09:40, Oliver Humpage wrote:

> On 31 May 2013, at 09:36, Steve James wrote:
>
>> So lets stop ranting at Cyclist or Motorists and direct our ire at the
>> inconsiderate dangerous people instead.
>
> Ohhhh, you mean motorcyclists?
>
> *ducks*

Oi! :p

On a serious not though, that and Steve's post just got me thinking. Yes I consider myself a 'motorcyclist' but I am also a van driver too, and a pedestrian. I don't particularly associate myself so much with those groups though as part of my identity. I'm not sure why this is. I'd imagine that many cyclists consider themselves 'cyclists' not so much 'people who happen to cycle'. But I imagine this feeling differs in different countries though. My wife keeps pointing out that people don't wear lycra in The Netherlands to cycle, they just get on their bike and cycle. I'd imagine they don't think of themselves as 'cyclists' but just 'people'.

When I started riding a motorbike about 4 years ago, it ended up making me much more aware of other road uses regardless of what mode of transport or vehicle I was in/on. I imagine that there are a far higher proportion of cyclists that also drive cars, than drivers who also happen to cycle. And I guess like most things just comes down to empathy with others. Racism, sexism, cyclist-ism ;) I think it all generally comes down to people not walking in the shoes of others and being able to understand their viewpoint.

-Matt

--
Matt Hamilton, Technical Director
Netsight Internet Solutions Limited

Registered in England No. 3892180
Registered office: 40 Berkeley Square, Clifton, Bristol, BS8 1HU