[_] Federated Identity Management

James Bewley jamesbewley at gmail.com
Wed May 29 12:32:38 BST 2013

Afternoon Hive,

Has anyone out there had a positive experience with federated identity
management systems?

I'm working on an enterprise application that currently has a complex
security model using it's own internal user directory.  Federated identity
management and Single-Sign on crops up fairly often in business
requirements but we've held out from implementing SSO as it's a shed load
of effort with only marginal benefits.

I would ideally like to cover as many user directories as possible with a
single implementation and don't want to be tied into a single vendor (like
MS Active Directory) so considering a standalone management system
like atlassian
crowd<https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CC8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.atlassian.com%2Fsoftware%2Fcrowd%2F&ei=pOWlUcDmDoTF0QX4k4GgAw&usg=AFQjCNGpoHJZlFe-I6r-60uk9GtvlZYy2Q&bvm=bv.47008514,d.d2k>to
get broad coverage.

Of course there are 73 other systems to evaluate so would love to hear any
success stories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_single_sign-on_implementations

James