[_] thinking of moving from iphone 3gs to nexus 4 - what you reckon

David Goodwin david at codepoets.co.uk
Mon Jul 15 13:50:38 BST 2013

I moved from an iPhone4 to a Nexus4 in early Jan 2013 (I think).

Pros

- Chrome sync across platforms works well
- Google cloud / image sync works well with other android devices I have
- Google cloud / music sync works well (play.google.com etc)
- No more iTunes
- No more iPhoto
- MicroUSB charger - which means fewer leads required
- Nexus 4 screen size is much better; I regard my iPhone as a toy now when I pick it up ("How did I manage to do anything on such a small screen?" etc).
- Better notifications
- Widgets (e.g. Nagios, Battery Widget Reborn)
- More hackable - you could waste time with http://www.cyanogenmod.org/
- Relatively cheap, no contract required.
- Android app permissions are far more granular than iPhone ones (you have more control)
- Android allows you to place bandwidth limits (i.e. if I go over 300mb in a month warn or turn off carrier data etc etc).

Cons

- Nexus 4 is apparently quite fragile - I've seen reports from friends of the screen cracking etc - make sure you get a protector.
- Nexus 4 without a case is very shiny/slippery [Get a case, Amazon have some for £3]
- Any paid for apps will need repurchasing when you move etc…
- iPhone has far more physical accessories / docks etc.
- Screensize is too large to use solely with one hand…

My resident Android nerd/geek is telling me the Nexus 5 is likely to be announced/released in October.

The Moto X is probably going to be sooner - see e.g http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bUmuIEp6dvs

thanks
David.