[_] Cycle stealing season?

mike karthauser mikek at brightstorm.co.uk
Sat Jul 13 09:01:02 BST 2013

It's easy pickings stealing bike parts and I bet outside the watershed is a particularly good place due to your clientele fine tastes. When I worked down near @bristol a few years back, I was alerted by the millenium square security guard that people had been trying to break the u lock on my bike and I ended up keeping it down in the cage next to the security guards office by the statues. Not surprisingly, parking it in the same place daily made it an obvious target.
My approach since then has to ride my cheapest bike into town if I'm going to leave it and making sure there's no quick release components to slow down the teef.
You've possibly come across atomic22 who make a range of security fastenings for bikes http://atomic22.com/ not sure what they do for break components though.
Lucky you found your brakes didn't work before you rode off. I had a gyro cable stolen from a Bmx years back which I didn't notice until I pulled the brake to stop which was a bit hairy..