[_] please can I beg some mod_rewrite help?

Steve Exley steve.exley at mayden.co.uk
Fri Feb 15 14:46:56 GMT 2013

Would a regex that avoids .+ in the middle be more efficient as it can home
in on the match faster - see regex greediness.

RewriteRule ^shop/([^/]+)/search&((?:.(?!/P))+.)/P([0-9]+)(&?.*)
http://%{HTTP_HOST}/shop/$1/P$3/search?$2
[R=301,L]

Also IMHO - the [R=301] redirect is only of use if you're planning on
switching to the new URL format and retiring all the incoming links which
you ruled out doing in your initial post.  If it's just changing the url
structure before the request reaches your handler subsystem then you may as
well take out the [R=301] and avoid the 2nd round trip for the browser in
order to retrieve the page initially requested.

On 15 February 2013 13:25, Andy Davies <dajdavies at gmail.com> wrote:
On 15 February 2013 12:00, Oliver Humpage <oliver at watershed.co.uk> wrote:

> Be *ever* so careful about using 301s: browsers cache them, so you have to
> be very sure they're what you want to happen forever.

They'll eventually work their way out of a browsers cache (I reckon there's
not much more that a days worth of browsing in my cache), proxy servers are
often a bigger problem and harder to solve.

Even temporary redirects can be cached if they have a future-expiry date
set i.e. max-age, expires, -
http://www.browserscope.org/?category=network&v=top