[_] Post code data and properties

Martin Wheatley martin at spodnet.net
Tue Feb 12 11:39:41 GMT 2013

On 12/02/2013 11:30, Dan Hilton wrote:

> On Tuesday, 12 February 2013 at 11:21, Martin Wheatley wrote:

>>> It does and is free if the property was sold in the last 12 months or so:
>>> http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/public/information/public-data/price-paid-data/price-paid-data-files
>>>
>>> Further back, you have to pay on commercial terms - not sure what's going on with that but I guess it's just the land registry not getting open data.
>>> HTH
>>

>> The land registry won't hold if it's rented or not though ?
> No, true - but as others have said you can merge in the various lists of registered HMO's and if you were a right move / zoopla, you could make a good approximation that a property is rented by the rental ads placed for it.
>
> It wouldn't be perfect, but this could perhaps get you 70 - 80% of the way there if you really needed the data. I guess you could improve it with some sort of machine learning algorithm based on the characteristics of rental property, but I'm freewheeling at that point.
>
> Be an interesting challenge - if there was a use for it.
> Cheers,
> Dan

I guess, electoral register + land registry owner comparison might work,
you could compare the owners to register, if different possibly rented,
if electoral register changes enough then definitely rented.

You could do other things like find if land owner has multiple
properties in the same area, this might indicate they are rented too.

Martin