[_] Amazon Glacier for Off-Site Backup

Tim Wintle timwintle at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 10:49:30 GMT 2013

On Tue, 2013-02-12 at 09:14 +0000, Huw Jeffries wrote:
> I've was looking at Amazon Glacier. It is the cheapest option, but for
> me 3-4 hours is too long to wait in event of a disaster.
> (Amazon also charge you quite a lot for retrieving your data).  I've been looking
> at Just Cloud. They offer 250GB for about £22 per year - only a few
> pounds more than Amazon Glacier.

I don't understand their business model..

Just Cloud buy storage space off Amazon S3. They duplicate your data
into multiple storage locations for redundancy, and then resell it to
you (with some added operations of their own)

I don't see how any of these cloud backup companies (who almost all use
Amazon S3) can possibly come close to the price or service levels of S3
themselves.

i.e. when I see them offering a price that must be making them a loss, I
don't trust them to keep offering me that price for the long-term.

Tim