[_] Drupal work wanted

Ryan T Nerd bristol.developer.ryan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 09:07:51 GMT 2013

Should probably get round to a proper reply to James as my original was a
little snippy ;)

So yeah I'm aware that open source is created by people with feelings, but
then so is closed source, and we all rag on that pretty hard. Just because
it's open source doesn't mean it's immune from critique, and useful
critique can be as relevant as patches [given that it can help guide the
development process].

Nice to know you don't appreciate my arrogance, lots of people do though
cos I'm amazing ;) Drupal is terrible in that it is poorly designed, but
perhaps it might have been wiser to include the drupal ecosystem in that
statement as more of my ire is reserved for that.

You're right that Drupal is flexible, but then so is a framework (such as
Zend and CodeIgniter) which the developers have an equal lack of prior
knowledge about the use of. That doesn't make its database murder any more
forgivable. When developing software in a commercial environment, one
should choose the best option, not the one you feel most grateful for, and
in my opinion, one should choose one capable of producing sane and relevant
queries.

It is slow. 290387 database queries will always be slower than 50 database
queries.

Data/Presentation separation: Have you not seen the node system? There is
so much of the database concerned with business logic, configuration etc
that mixes in among the content with many of the modules out there that it
can become a nightmare to get content out.

Power to the people indeed. It's just a shame the people aren't that
bright. You can use a rusty spoon to eat a steak, but it's not recommended,
just as you can try to develop software with Drupal (and by god I've seen
it done and had to do it myself) but it's a bad idea.

Frankly I don't care that it supports crappy hosting. The code is not good.
If your hosting can't accomodate proper code move to a better host.

Yep, a problem with most 2nd hand code. The modules are a mess and as you
touch upon documentation then yes that is an issue. Poor documentation is a
problem in 90% of drupal (and indeed in a large amount of open source).
Open source developers need at some point to figure out that undocumented
open source is less useful than closed source with a well-documented API.
More can be done with the latter.

You're right, inexperienced programmers are a problem. The problem is that
Drupal encourages them to think they are programmers. At one of my previous
employers, I lost count of the job applications coming in from people who
thought they could program because they had installed a few modules on
Drupal sites. Unfortunately some of these seem to make it into local web
dev agencies and leave a mess for others to clean up.

I'm certainly not saying that no effort goes into Drupal, nor that it's the
wrong choice in all scenarios (it's a perfectly acceptable CMS for small
simple projects where scalability isn't an issue due to low traffic, but do
not use it for large applications with lots of traffic if you want your
server and your coders to stay sane). I do however think that it needs to
be rebuilt in line with modern development practices, and third party
modules need to be purged to make way for new modules developed with some
kind of verification process (perhaps something like the App Store, even if
that necessitates charging).

Anyway, better stop there as this is turning into war and peace.

RTN