[_] How to predict audience growth

Shane McEwan shane at mcewan.id.au
Mon Feb 11 13:52:42 GMT 2013

On 11/02/13 13:34, Martin Joiner wrote:
> My site openmicfinder.co.uk was receiving 100 unique visitors a day this
> time last year. Today it's receiving 200. That can be described as an
> increase of 100 people or 100%. My question is: Assuming I continue doing
> the same amount of development/promotion, *should I expect to be receiving
> 300 hits per day this time next year (ie. another 100 people) or 400 unique
> visits (ie. another 100% rise)?*

It probably has a lot to do with how people are finding your site. If
it's word of mouth then you're likely to see an exponential growth (100
-> 200 -> 400) as more people tell their friends about it.

If you rely on marketing then you'll probably see more of a linear
growth if you stick to the same marketing over the year.

You shouldn't be trying to calculate a trend based on two data points,
though. Plot unique visitors per day for each day over the last year.
And then see if the points are curving upwards or are a straight line.
Even three points would help. 6 months ago were you at 125 per day or 150?

Of course, today is going to be an anomaly, now, as everyone on
Underscore hits your site. :-)

Shane.