[_] Drupal work wanted

Ryan T Nerd bristol.developer.ryan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 13:03:02 GMT 2013

First things first, that link only works if you take off the word might,
though I'm still not 100% sure of the relevance tbh.

Drupal is terrible.

1. It murders databases with about 38937 more queries than should be needed
for any given task.
2. It's slow. Hideously so.
3. It's like MVC never existed, there is literally no separation between
the data you want, and its presentation.
4. Small companies use it for purposes that it's really not fit for (I
admit not Drupal's fault per se but a reason for my hatred of it) because
of its main advantage of being quick to build things in and being possible
to build a basic site with very little skill.
5. 3rd party modules are a pain in the arse. Often poorly-written and with
dodgy security, frequently abandoned, etc. The existence of such a large
library of items of wildly-varying quality leads employers in the Drupal
sphere to conclude that you can build xyz in 3 seconds because a module
exists that almost does what you want, failing to understand that often the
modules lack the flexibility to do EXACTLY what your client needs, leaving
the options of a new module, horrific hacks or modifying a 3rd party module
[please never ever do any of these things]
6. It's so damn procedural
7. Have you ever tried untangling a mess of modules all interacting with
each other where something's not working? Again, usually a problem when
dealing with 2nd hand code.
8. Projects created in Drupal are a maintenance nightmare. At the employers
who have used Drupal, it has invariably been the Drupal sites which were
unmaintainable, barely hanging on by a thread, while CodeIgniter stuff is a
relative joy to work with.

Note that I say all this as someone who has buggered off to do Java
instead, with a nice bit of Struts and Hibernate for good measure. I can
honestly say I don't miss Drupal one bit!

RTN