[_] UPS +1s please

Tim Wintle timwintle at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 10:19:43 GMT 2013

On Mon, 2013-02-11 at 09:56 +0000, Dan Course wrote:
> It's time for a UPS after a weekend power cut… we only need one for powering our HDD server, Synology DS410

(in _ fashion ;)

A UPS will only power the machine for a very short time - so they're
really designed to keep stuff running while you either switch to a
backup power supply or power down the hardware safely.

Fancy UPSes will let you query them to power down automatically, but
(last time I checked) you needed special drivers to poll the UPS, and
that probably wouldn't work with an integrated NAS.

A RAID'ed NAS _shouldn't_ suffer data loss after having the power cut if
there's a "sane" filesystem on the device (journalling etc), and the
RAID is set to writethrough. I keep my personal NAS behind a simple
surge protector - I do keep my main machine behind a UPS so I have
warning to save my work, but last time the power cut fully it detected a
surge and powered itself down immediately as a safety measure :-(  I'm
probably past the supported life time to be fair.

Tim