[_] SEO: Clients Still Clicking Ads

Tim Wintle timwintle at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 16:18:51 GMT 2013

On Tue, 2013-02-05 at 15:52 +0000, Shane McEwan wrote:
> On 05/02/13 15:01, Tim Wintle wrote:
> > Remember that the majority of websites you use are funded by
> > advertising. Probably a very significant amount of the income people on
> > this list make every year comes via online advertising at some point
> > paying the bills.
>
> I remember but I never clicked on ads even before I started using an ad
> blocker so I don't think I'm costing anyone any advertising revenue.

There are (at least) two different kinds of adverts:

 * Direct Response (e.g. most Adwords search ads)
 * Branding (e.g. perfume ads on tv)

.. the ideas behind branding can be a range of things, but for example
some people (not you or me by the sound of it :) may be more likely to
go and buy a particular type of car/clothing because it's well-known and
they will feel more important if they buy the branded version. For those
ads, if you ever click on the ad or not is not important - it's
important that other consumers think you have seen ads for that brand.

Online inventory is fairly well split between direct response and
branding, so a lot of sites do get paid (at least partially) per ad
impression - i.e. if you've got an ad blocker on you're actively
reducing the revenue many sites get.

> I feel that my life is better without advertising.

So you never use any of the benefits that are funded by it?

e.g. you watch TV that's not BBC or a paid subscription, you never use a
search engine, watch youtube, read news online, or anything by full time
bloggers? You don't profit from the increased demand for web developers
to build ad-funded websites?

> If I want to buy a car I'll do my own research to make a decision. If I want insurance I'll
> let my insurance broker do the work for me. I'll shop at a supermarket
> that is convenient for when I need to buy food.

I'm exactly the same - I very seldom interact with adverts, and I think
there's a lot of junk out there; but I can't pretend my life would be as
good without the wider benefits that advertising money brings to
everyone.

Tim