[_] AWS users

Oliver Humpage oliver at watershed.co.uk
Tue Feb 5 15:56:44 GMT 2013

On 5 Feb 2013, at 15:44, Rob Stapenhurst wrote:

> I've used EC2 spot instances for batch processing research simulations with
> Python's boto library.

We used EC2 instances to stress test our streaming server - just fired them up, set several hundred rtmpdump instances going on each one, and watched what happened. Which was that our colo's firewall shut us off for packet flooding, but anyway. Since inbound traffic is free, the whole test cost us about $30 of CPU time.

However, as a result of that test, I think we'll be using day-rate server software (both Flash and Wowza media servers let you rent by the day, and I think both integrate with AWS perfectly) and EC2 for any future large-scale streaming events. By far the cheapest way to do things.

Oliver.