[_] Performance testing, please help!

Adam Nicholls inkysplat at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 11:13:30 GMT 2013

It is indeed a VPS, I have a feeling its a shared server too judging by the
irrelevant apache access logs. I've ran top on the server and not really
noticed any load issues, so on first glance everything looks acceptable in
terms of resources.

I'd love to move the .htaccess stuff into the httpd.conf but unfortunately
all I have is a non-privileged SSH user account and a Plesk control panel.
Our .htaccess has alot of stuff from the HTML5Boilerplate which we've now
removed as we thought it might be causing issues with sending back odd
headers and things. Our htaccess just has a couple of rewrite rules now.

We've also managed to rule out the fact it was a DNS issue as I experienced
the issue on my laptop on their network after I had put the server's IP
address into my host file (thus by passing the DNS lookup). We also created
a sub-domain of one of our domains and forwarded it there using an A Record
but it still seemed to do the same.

I've checked out the fonts thing 403'ing and looks like it's loaded in via
JS using their API (fonts.com). Not much we can do on that front I think,
and I didn't work on the original site so don't know about how it's been
implemented.

The firm have phoned up their ISP (Virgin) who've talked them through
rebooting the router and I assume a DHCP renew/release to the modem in the
process.

Out of interest did anyone have issue with the "Stills Gallery"? -
http://www.beestonmedia.com/stills ?

Cheers
Adam.

GORAM+VINCENT

54–56 Park Street, Bristol, BS1 5JN, UK
Telephone +44 0117 370 3370

Email hello at goramandvincent.com
Visit http://goramandvincent.com

Connect with us...
http://flavors.me/goramandvincent

GORAM & VINCENT LTD. Company registered in England & Wales No. 7047217. VAT
Registration No. 979 8725 32
Registered office 54–56 Park Street, Bristol, BS1 5JN, UK.