[_] Mac Upgrade Woes

James Bewley jamesbewley at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 09:13:56 GMT 2013

OK I'm up and running, so for future reference; by far the most
straightforward way to upgrade OS X is to download a torrent of
an unmodified  Mountain Lion disc and install via a USB drive.  Depending
on your network connection you'll be done in an hour or two.

As far as hardware requirements for Mountain Lion: there are of course
no arbitrary restrictions but you must have a Mac with the correct CPU
architecture as Mountain Lion is only compiled for AMD64 processors (>=
Intel Core2Duo).  Anything in this list will be fine
http://www.apple.com/uk/osx/specs/.

It's working very well on this 'old' hardware (2.2Ghz core2duo/2GB RAM)
although I would say if you are developing, get a machine with or upgrade
to 4GB RAM as the memory footprint for xCode, the iOS simulator and browser
with a couple of tabs is around 2GB.

Cheers,
James