[_] Performance testing, please help!

Andy Davies dajdavies at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 18:58:35 GMT 2013

On 4 February 2013 17:58, Tim Wintle <timwintle at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2013-02-04 at 17:39 +0000, Adam Nicholls wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > To clarify: when I say images/css not loading I mean there's a spinning
> > wheel next to those files in Firebug. I've done a 'netstat -an' on the
> > server and can see the browser has made a connection, although I've
> noticed
> > a few "TIME_WAIT" statuses, not sure what this indicates though or if
> > they're related to the files!
>
> That just means the socket is effectively closed, but it's waiting just
> in case it needs to re-submit the acknowledgement that the socket will
> close (i.e. you can ignore them unless you're maxing out your open
> sockets.
>

> It is possible that there's a networking issue - if you run wireshark on
> the client's computer you would be able to track down exactly what's
> going on here in more detail, but you'll need a good knowledge of Layer
> 3 networking (i.e. TCP/UDP).
>
> You may be maxing out allowed sockets on either the client or server,
> but you'd need to look at full network logs to find that out.

That'd be my guess too, turning keep-alive on so that sockets get re-used
might help but settings will probably need tweaking  on a small cheapo VPS
to avoid other issues.

There's plenty of other optimisations that can be done before worrying
about hosting images on other domains too.

Oh and definitely move the config out of .htaccess as it forces Apache to
read .htaccess for both the folder and it's parents for   a path -
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/howto/htaccess.html#when

Andy