[_] Advisor for home budgeting?

James jmoverley at ladnet.org
Sun Feb 3 21:36:20 GMT 2013

Carry on from previous (dang Gmail sending to soon)..

Cook in bulk (freeze off portions): if there is a good deal on meat/veg, it
makes sense to bake in bulk, this actually has a couple of benefits:
   1: cooking in bulk, lowers use of cooker / energy
   2: a fuller Freezer actually lowers energy consumption : I heard if your
freeze is mainly empty, to fill it with bottles(plastic) of water, to stop
it from freezing just air!
   3: save on time : with food pre-prepped you can spend some more time
with the kids ;)
   4: life safer if ill : always nice to have some meals stacked up in the
freezer for when the Lurgy comes to visit (you know how it is with kids
+ nursery!)

Another couple of things:

keep track of how much you pay for Internet access etc..
 - companies are really bad at making sure you get the best deal ;) (Virgin
media are one of the worst - double check latest tariffs and be sure you
are being billed correctly!
- move to freeview - do you really need all those channels? ;o) - turn the
dang idiot box off!

if you smoke, STOP - for all the obvious reasons + it really COSTS!! (I
gave up maaaaaany years ago, but remember how surprised at the amount of
money that was still left in my account at the end of the month!)

Drop the "latte's" - Starbucks/Nero/Costa - all expensive bad habits, I can
fully recommend moving to tea's - all of the above named places will give
you cup of hot water FREE of charge ;)
( I know this sounds extremely frugal but - i use to get a medium coffee
every morning,, that soon adds up!)

+ moneysavingexperts.com there are some really good articles in there!

Since my wife went on Maternity leave (with our first child) : we really
did notice the savings from avoiding the regular supermarket trips + using
local traders.
With that said however, we still shop online (avoid going to the store +
temptations!) for usual household goods etc..

Ok.. my 2 pennies worth!