[_] Advisor for home budgeting?

James jmoverley at ladnet.org
Sun Feb 3 21:24:42 GMT 2013

This has all the makings of a skill swap!

+1 on Lewis's comments.

Fruit, Veg : from greengrocers - also if you time it right you get some
damn good deals (usually Mon/Thu mornings, as you catch them just before
delivery therefore most of their stock goes cheap - this may vary from
grocer to grocer)

meat : Use the butcher, you will save a lot of money here + get better
quality meat - I'll agree with most others here, reduce meat, it is pricey!

Bakers : this is a tricky one, our local is ok, but you end up buying other
stuff in there, if you are weak of will ;) - we actually moved to make alot
of our own bread now, it is cheap and easy once you get the hang of it! (+
tastes awesome, note: with kids we get to control how much salt,etc.. is in
the mix).

Drop alcohol : it really is costly, perhaps keep that bottle of red for
special occasions

Avoid takeaways : they add up! (we Usually treat ourselves to 1 a month if
that)

Cook in bulk (freeze off portions): if there is a good deal on meat/veg, it
makes sense to bake in bulk, this actually has a couple of benefits:
   1:  cooking in bulk, lowers use of cooker / energy