[_] Advisor for home budgeting?

Rick Hurst rick.hurst at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 18:45:17 GMT 2013

On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 11:49 AM, mike karthauser
<mikek at brightstorm.co.uk> wrote:
> On 2 Feb 2013, at 11:13, "Damian Webber" <damian.webber at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm not asking for sympathy from anybody
>>
>> I earn a lot less working for Steria than I did when I ran Portsurf. A lot of this is due to adjusting to a new salary but really it's a problem shared by a lot of people
>>
>> Remember, my original query was for some help to put things right
>
> I guess it's about working out how to give up the nice things you used to be able to afford without giving up all the nice things.

I also had some very skint times during my previous stint as a
freelancer (usually down to late/ non-payers), and we had to make
sacrifices - but here are a few things we did to still have a life:-

For a couple of years we decided we couldn't afford a proper holiday,
so house/dog sat for friends in Ireland for a few weeks in the summer
- actually had a great holiday for the price of a ryanair flight and a
hire car for a couple of weeks.

We set a strict budget for food, petrol and entertainment and got the
sum out in cash and stuck it in a shoebox - you'd be surprised the
effect of watching the rapidly diminishing pile of cash has on what
you decide to buy - can you really afford a couple of lattes, a £5
sandwich and a takeaway pizza today, or save that last £20 for the
weekend?

Bearing in mind neither of us need a car for commuting, and we walk
our son all of 300 metres to school, the car mostly stayed where it
was, unless there was a really good reason to drive it. Still sat
there costing us money in insurance , tax and MOT repairs though - all
cars are money pits, no avoiding it whatever you buy!

I don't want to start another debate, but eat less meat! I'm the only
veggie in the family, but we hardly buy any meat, and our food bills
are pretty reasonable - the golden rule is cooking everything from
scratch rather than buying ready meals etc.

Aldi booze! - some really nice wine and beers

/2p - (see what I did there?!)

--
Rick Hurst
http://www.rickhurst.co.uk