[_] Advisor for home budgeting?

Damian Webber damian.webber at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 10:20:24 GMT 2013

Hmm, we have a BMW X3 3.0i (that's petrol)  Automatic [not the most frugal of cars, I admit] - however this mpg is all Bristol roads. Motorway driving brings the average back up - I generally average 30mpg if I stick at 70

The wife has admitted that we need to change the car but when you've been driving nice cars for many years, the thought of swapping for a 1.2 engined small car makes you feel a little sad on the inside.

Perhaps there's a bigger problem. I think it's been touched on a couple of times in this thread and it's a combination of things

1. The tax breaks for families where the mother (or one parent) stays at home have all but gone - and don't seem to be returning judging by recent news from Dave Cameron

2. The cost of food is too high...

3. ...Mainly due to the cost of delivering it which brings me onto the cost of petrol which has crazy tax added to it

4. Big cars are expensive to run. The government push up tax on big cars to make us buy small cars (lower emissions to meet legislation) with lower tax, etc. But just you wait until everyone is in a small car - the tax will go up - it already happened with fuel (remember how much diesel and LPG used to cost)

5. The cost of childcare is prohibitively expensive. We have 2 kids and even if my wife took a term time only job, the childcare takes about 2 thirds of it. Term time jobs normally pay about minimum wage...

I have an idea about stay at home mums but I'll start another thread another day about it (Matt, you might be interested in that one - we can have a talk about wives and Plone beer soon)