[_] BTCONNECT E-mail Problem POP / IMAP

Karl McClelland karl at fanstarters.com
Sun Aug 18 10:35:19 BST 2013

Thank you Keith, that sounds like just the solution.

I would have thought that 'BT Business' would have just the solution, but
they don't unsurprisingly. Someone mentioned sending the lot to Gmail and
then accessing Gmail from all devices. Sounds like the best option, plus
it's a pretty nice e-mail environment to be in.

Thanks again.

Karl

On 17 August 2013 17:25, Keith Jackson <keith at ministryotech.co.uk> wrote:

> [...]
>
> With either, you can set up the account to 'pick up' the POP email
> directly and both support IMAP quite nicely. With the Exchange option,
> setup on devices like the iPhone is even easier, but MS don't make the
> server side of the setup as easy as it could be some times. Depends on the
> spread of technical knowledge as to what would be the best fit there. I
> wouldn't be surprised if BTConnect doesn't support IMAP very nicely at all.
> I would never recommend using an email account linked to an ISP anyway
> (which I assume it is) as it's a pain if you choose to change your
> provider. Better to use an email address which you can take with you
> whatever you decide to do in the future (be that Google, Microsoft or
> iCloud). Even better is to have the email on your own domain running on
> Exchange or on the Google Apps platform, then your address remains yours
> even if you change email provider (which I have done several times). I
> started off running my own email servers, then moved my domains over to
> Google Apps and moved to MS Exchange about 1 year ago.
>
> Some mail providers still, inexplicably in my view, only support POP - BT
> may be one of these, I don't know. Outlook.com / Microsoft live (formerly
> Hotmail) is one that also only supports POP, so avoid that.
>
> Keith Jackson
> CTO - The Ministry of Technology
>
> keith at ministryotech.co.uk
> http://www.ministryotech.co.uk
>
> The Ministry of Technology is a trading name of Minotech Ltd.
>
> On 17 Aug 2013, at 15:42, Steve Lacey <steve at stevelacey.net> wrote:
>
> > POP behaves as your describe by design, which I am sure you are aware.
> >
> > IMAP would indeed solve most of the problems you describe.
> >
> > Webmail isn't really comparable, you don't sync webmail anywhere, it's
> just
> > another client, on the web.
> >
> > You probably want to switch everything over to IMAP.
> >

> > On 16 August 2013 16:55, Karl McClelland <karl at fanstarters.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi everyone,
> >>
> >> Hope you're all well...
> >>
> >> I'm sure this question's been asked before a hundred times but I'm
> hoping
> >> someone might have a solution in the [_] combined brain.
> >>
> >> Currently accessing a @btconnect.com address from multiple devices
> >> (iphone,
> >> ipad, my htc, my laptop, work desktop etc.)...
> >>
> >> It's a POP account which means that if one person replies the other's
> can't
> >> see the reply. Quite hard work when 4 people all have access and nobody
> can
> >> see if an enquiry has been responded to.
> >>
> >> Also means that if a newsletter gets deleted by anyone, then everyone
> else
> >> has to delete it too.
> >>
> >> I'm thinking IMAP upgrade might help but BT Business are saying that we
> >> should all be accessing via webmail...which doesn't quite compute.
> >>
> >> Any ideas what might be the best way forward ?

Karl McClelland

FanStarters  |  now that is quite cool !!!

+44 (0)7535 924 478

karl at fanstarters.com
www.fanstarters.com
www.facebook.com/fanstarters
http://twitter.com/fanstarters

Facebook  |  Custom Microsites  |  Search Engine Optimisation  |  Wordpress