[_] Top 20

Fri Aug 16 14:52:33 BST 2013

Their page

http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/tpci_definition.htm

seems to answer the question. Basically they just do web searches for "[language] programming" and count the results.

On Google, Java programming gets about 35 million results, ruby programming about 12 million.

Seems like a bit of a strange proxy to me, affected by masses of other things, though very low effort to compile!

Oliver

p.s. I code Java but have met a couple of Rubies as well.