[_] friday ponder

Andy Davies dajdavies at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 17:55:11 BST 2012

On Friday, 20 July 2012, Tim Beadle wrote:

> On 20 July 2012 14:13, juan kennaugh <contact at jkennaugh.co.uk<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
> > I'm thinking there's no point having sharing links on a mobile site - as
> > it's easier to share straight from your phone these days isn't it.
>
> If you have them, try to make them static html sharing buttons, with
> no Javascript involved. The performance overhead of something like
> AddThis or the various social sites' SDKs is significant even on
> desktop. On mobile, it's potentially disastrous.
>
> As to whether you should have them? I would, as (say) mobile safari
> just has an "Email" option, or you can copy the link. It's not as
> trivial as you make it sound to stuff a link into Facebook et al.

+99

AddThis only provide a synchronous javascript snippet i.e. <script scr=
etc.,

Everytime you include JavaScript from a third-party site like this you run
the risk of that site breaking yours as elements below a script element
cannot be rendered until the script has executed and if there is a delay in
downloading the JS e.g. the third-party's hosting network goes slow, then
your page load slows too.

I recommend completely removing AddThis to my clients, and that they think
carefully about the others.

Whether you need sharing buttons at all, let alone on mobile is a much
discussed point ATM (I think there's a new @netmag article discussing it)

In my view they're certainly a waste on Android as the sharing can be done
via Intents, iOS is a bit more difficult as sharing it a bit more hit and
miss (Twitter excepted)

Cheers

Andy