[_] handbrake - encoding video for android (mobiles other than iphone)

juan kennaugh contact at jkennaugh.co.uk
Wed Jul 4 15:00:48 BST 2012

Hi all

I've been messing about trying to encode video to work on mobiles other
than iphone/ipad.

I haven't got an android phone to test on - but I've been using an
emulator in browserstack.com - which doesnt actually play the movie cos
it's so slow but it at least will show a frame of the video to show it's
loaded.

I have managed to get a video to show up in a galaxy S2 by using the
'iPhone & iPod touch' preset in handbrake. But I needed to turn off
'contact quality' in the video quality setting, and set an average
bitrate of 960.

So I'm just wondering is it all a bit trial and error?

1. are the bitrate and video size limitations of phones related (ie: if
I reduce the size of a video can I increase the bitrate) ?

2. do any of you peeps encode separate video clips for mobile and non
mobile (I'm already encoding mp4,ogv,webm). I'm using jwplayer so I
could check if the client is mobile and provide a mobile version of the
file.?

3. Will most mobiles play mp4 (I'm having trouble finding a list
phones/file types)?

Cheers in advance if anyone has any info about this dark art.

Cheers

Juan