[_] Bristol Wheel website

Matt Hamilton matth at netsight.co.uk
Mon Feb 27 14:23:22 GMT 2012

On 27 Feb 2012, at 12:18, Steve James wrote:

> On 27 February 2012 10:55, mac jordan <mac.jordan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 10:48 AM, Matt Hamilton <matth at netsight.co.uk>wrote:
>>
>>> Indeed. Looking back I certainly don't see it as bullying at all. I think
>>> if someone built some great big pile of poo structure in the middle of the
>>> city and it was structurally unsound, a visual eyesore, and fell short of
>>> disability access legislation; and when it was pointed out how bad it was
>>> the person responsible said "Well, I'm not really an architect, just an
>>> interior designer" then I think we'd still all be up in arms.
>>

>> Indeed. Web development is an odd thing - people with no experience don't
>> generally attempt to, say, fit a new gas boiler, or drive an HGV, but
>> anyone seemingly can do web development. Although not always very well ...
>>

> People with no experience or idea can and often do things like repair
> the brakes on their car..... Build a wall.....
>
> All with potential dangerous consequences. They can even be employed
> to do so unlike fit a gas boiler or drive an HGV.
>
> But we could create a new industry of regulation if we pushed for
> licensed Web Development and Website deployment. That would be great,
> would push costs up and create jobs.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I don't want any kind of regulation or protection of the term 'web designer' as someone suggested. I like being able to repair the brakes on my motorbike and van, and the EU is threatening to stop me doing that with my motorbike at the moment. Not a good state.

All I am saying is that we have laws in place to ensure that websites that are put out there for the good of our society are as inclusive as possible and as web designers I think we should strive to comply with and uphold them.

I totally agree that the web designer that did this site probably had no idea about these laws, and she pretty much admitted as much herself in her email when she said she is not a web designer. So hence my question… what responsibility does the client/city have in this? Should they not have some responsibility to ensure that websites that are published to promote their city meet the legal obligations they should? I mean if I do any kind of public tender, I have to submit documentation that my company meets all health and safety legislation, discrimination legislation etc. Surely the council / Cabot Circus would (or should have) some terms in their terms of business that state that the people they buy services off meet legal obligations for their service?

-Matt