[_] Windows 7 woes on a refurb Dell laptop

Rick Edwards rick.edwards at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 09:39:00 GMT 2012

On 2 February 2012 18:01, Andrew Holway >
> Joy - so I suppose the question is how do I get them out of the list
> of updates that the machine wants to run? (and obviously WTF are they
> doing there in the first place?)

go to Control Panel ->System and Security ->Windows Update

from there you should be able to select updates to ignore. I've had many
issues with windows 7 updates some of which have been tied in with
permissions and third party anti-virus. Also I've had problems with Visual
Studio updates, they eventually work but I've had to force the machine to
shut down during the update phase as it just sits there. Not got to the
bottom of this yet (not done a full re-install of VS2010 which maybe I
should try). Sometimes the order of installing updates makes a difference
and I suspect the fact that some require a reboot to complete installation
causes problems when installing multiple updates.

rick (not Rick)