[_] Windows 8 opinion

Oliver Francis ollie at deckchair.co.uk
Tue Sep 20 10:33:21 BST 2011

I think its going to take MS along time to get the balance of features
right.

I've not installed it (very brave Kier!) but from the videos I've seen there
are some lovely GUI ideas. The problems seem to arise largely when legacy
apps or the file system kicks in. This looks like they are not quite
prepared to commit to the new GUI and will create a very disjointed
experience. Trying to create a interface that works on both touch, mobile
and mouse/trackpad based devices is apparently the holy grail, but I'm not
convinced thats what the user wants.

I'm a Mac user and I having installed Lion recently I think that Mac OS is
experiencing some similar issues, bringing loads of iOS features into the
desktop. Most of these new features I don't use, this could be just getting
used to it, but I think its more to do with context.

Apple and Microsoft are trying bring touch GUIs into the desktop, I imagine
so that users get a consistent experience across devices and also some
'cool' factor so you can justify upgrading. This is all very well and I
really hope it results in a better experience but I simply want to get stuff
done and I don't want to relearn the OS.

Ollie Francis  |  Creative Director  |  Deckchair

Web www.deckchair.co.uk  Twitter
@olliefrancis<http://www.twitter.com/olliefrancis>

Tel 0117 9299150  Mob 07855 437618

Deckchair UK Ltd, 54-56 Park Street, Bristol, BS1 5JN
Registered in England, Reg. No. 348 92 34, VAT No. 885 4229 89.

If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy this email and contact
Deckchair UK at info at deckchair.co.uk