[_] anti-virus recommendations

Tim Wintle timwintle at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 08:34:42 GMT 2011

On Tue, 2011-02-15 at 11:58 +0000, Jake McMurchie wrote:
> On 15 February 2011 11:43, Amias Channer <me at amias.net> wrote:
> >
> > i would have thought the image hasn't gone on the stick
> > correctly , how long have you waited to check its not
> > just taking a while to start up ?
>
> Minutes, so you're probably right.

It can take a very long time to boot from USB sticks (especially on
these kinds of devices).

> > Have you tried booting it on another pc to test the stick ?
> > it won't change anything just to try.
>
> I'm all mac, but that's a good idea. I'll try it on my wife's laptop
> when she gets home.

It'll work fine on a mac (macs are just PCs these days after all).

> > what type of netbook is it ?
>
> It's an Acer Aspire One "happy" (she's only 10!)

I've got Ubuntu on an (original) Acer Aspire One - it fairly much worked
flawlessly when I installed it. (except the fan, which I had to meddle
with - but I think that was just because I jumped in before the drivers
had been worked on).

Tim