[_] WordPress uploads and auto-updates (aka brain ache)

Christian Wach needle at haystack.co.uk
Mon Apr 18 11:18:23 BST 2011

On 18 Apr 2011, at 10:58, Gabriel Thornton wrote:

> And while we are on the subject of things I can't get to work in
> WordPress. why can't it automatically update itself and its plugins
> without serious amounts of pain?!

Leaving aside the "shoot-the-messenger" frustration, here are a few
options for you to run through. Try pasting this into your wp-
config.php file:

---<snip>---
/**
  * FTP settings for auto-update
  *
  * Setting these here ought to bypass the need to enter them every time
  * you want to do an upgrade.
  */
// ** FTP SETTINGS FOR AUTO-UPDATE ** //
define('FTP_HOST', 'localhost');
define('FTP_USER', 'YOUR_FTP_USERNAME');
define('FTP_PASS', 'YOUR_FTP_PASSWORD');

Failing that, try this in your wp-config.php file:

define('FS_METHOD', 'direct');

If these don't work, you might need to employ the services of someone
who understands how to set your server up to achieve your goal. I
suspect there may be one or two on this list ;)

Cheers,

Christian