[_] Tips on System/Performance monitoring for Linode Host

Tim Wintle timwintle at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 11:38:51 BST 2011

On Mon, 2011-04-11 at 11:30 +0100, Greg Ferro wrote:
> However, the CPU utilisation is much higher than I was expecting -
> typically 50% or more shows in top with a load average above one
> constantly.

Top will show you which process is using the most CPU (i.e. is it the
database server or is it php/apache?)

Also, is this all userspace time? You could have less RAM / cache or
something that could be causing you to spend a lot of time on io.

How you look in more detail will depend on what process is having
difficulty, and where the CPU is being spent.

Tim Wintle