[_] Tips on System/Performance monitoring for Linode Host

Daniel Hilton daniel.hilton at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 11:34:13 BST 2011

On 11 April 2011 11:30, Greg Ferro <myetherealmind at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm running Ubuntu server at Linode and just migrated a couple of my
>  Wordpress blogs there with my main site moving this morning.
>
> However, the CPU utilisation is much higher than I was expecting - typically
> 50% or more shows in top with a load average above one constantly.
>
> I'm not particularly competent at this level of Linux 'magic hand waving' (
> although I migrated my wordpress installs myself so I have some knowledge)
> and looking for some suggestions for tool / packages  that I can use to look
> into what part of PHP / Apache / MySQL is burning those CPU cycles.
>
> Thanks.

Hi Greg

Are you running a caching plugin? Something like supercache
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-super-cache/

That will save your db a ton of work, by milling out flat pages rather
than querying the db everytime. Have a look at the load before and
after enabling that on a couple of your blogs. If you still have a
high load average, have a look at what's using the cpu using a tool
such as top or htop. These will show you which
processes are eating your cpu.

HTH
Dan