[_] Best email subscriber/newsletter service?

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Fri Apr 8 12:17:43 BST 2011

Lewis Dexter Litanzios asked:
> http://www.mailchimp.com/ - is it still the best?

No and it never was.  I think it doesn't support basic mailing list
standards like List-Id and List-Help headers (IETF RFC 2919 and 2369
respectively) so its emails get spamtrapped quite commonly and
irritate others.  I think it does clean up its recipient lists on
errors, though, which is more than some do.

> Has anyone used an alternative I should check out?

The hosted service market still seems to be a market for lemons with
failure to provide basic features and hard-to-compare advertising.
Look at self-hosting if you can.

Am I being too harsh?  Is there a good review which found a service
which provides both the basic technical features which postmasters
want and the flashier stuff which users think to ask for?

Regards,
Webmaster, Debian Developer, Past Koha RM, statistician, former lecturer.
Available for hire for various work through http://www.software.coop/