[_] offline video capture - iPad2 (or other tablet) app

Tom Gidden tom at gidden.net
Thu Apr 7 17:34:15 BST 2011

On 7 Apr 2011, at 15:57, Rick Hurst wrote:

> This really makes me hate Apple - this app is for a small
> organisation, probably 10 - 20 devices needed at most. There is no
> public use for this app, so it makes no sense to have on the app
> store.

Just Ad-Hoc it, or do as Julian says and set them all as development devices. It's much of a muchness really, except that I think Ad Hoc provisioning profiles last longer than Dev profiles (it's been a while since I've messed with it)  Either way, you'll need to register each device with the developer profile and provision them.

If you generate .ipa files (ie. zip files in a particular layout), you can tell your users to just double-click to load it into iTunes ready for syncing.

The benefit of Enterprise deployment, IIRC, was having automatic in-house / over-the-air distribution. I've no idea how that worked, but I think you can do something similar with plain Ad-Hoc now: you can Email/SMS a URL to a new app to a user, and it'll install on the device without involving iTunes.

Tom

--
Tom Gidden
http://gidden.net/tom