[_] wordpress page 'content' not showing up

Chris Dawson chris at tallhat.com
Wed Apr 6 11:57:02 BST 2011

has the way wordpress draws in 'the_content' changed in recent versions?
i've been developing a site which i started probably pre v3 and my
'portfolio' pages used to show some extra content at the top (above the
posts loop).

this content was simply put into the edit window for that specific portfolio
'page' allowing me to customise the top of each portfolio page easily, but
since upgrading to 3.x this content is not showing (the 'posts' loop shows
fine underneath).

here's the bit in question from the template

<?php $count = 0; ?>
        <?php if (have_posts()) : ?>

get_thumbnail_above_post($post->ID, 12);/*hard coded at 12 columns wide
since there is only 1 layout style*/ ?></div>

            <?php if(!get_post_meta($post->ID, "hide_content", true)){ ?>
            <?php } ?>

            <?php $count = 0; ?>
            <?php while (have_posts()) : the_post(); ?>

it's the
<?php the_content(); ?>
bit that's no longer working. if i change it to 'the_title' it does display
that particular portfolio page's title, but 'the_content' never shows up.
i'm reading that 'the_content' has to be used within the loop, but this used
to work and now doesn't...

how can i fix?

chris