[_] Google : cracking nuts with sledge hammers

Nick Clarkson nick_clarkson at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 26 11:54:58 BST 2010

> Google realises that soon, many people will be out and about and searching
> on keyboard/monitors at their desks - more that we will just refer to our
> handsets through Geo-Search.

> at some point you can browse an entire highstreet, etc, or pub, or shop, or

> rural hotel and the prices offered by those places will pop up as you

> approach or pass by

im not convinced you need street view to make it work. If youre on the highstreet you could use a phone camera to create a dynamic ad cloud image - if youre searching in advance you might as well order online!?

I can see the advantage of say checking a view from a hotel, or finding the nearest coffee shop, but there always seems to be a more technically simple solution to this.

however, i hear thats google are collecting their turn based navigation data at the
 same time as taking the street view images (amongst other things) which
 in my opinion is more meaningful and resaleable!?