[_] Android 2.2

Tom Gidden tom at gidden.net
Mon Jul 19 15:58:35 BST 2010

On 19 Jul 2010, at 15:00, Matthew Wilkes wrote:

> Same for Android, there's an event that you subscribe to if you want to try and clean up your memory.  A lot of task managers have a button that fires that event system-wide to get things to wipe their caches, which sometimes helps with performance.

Yep.. as far as I can tell, most of the third party task managers for iOS 3 and below merely allocate bigger and bigger chunks of memory until the OS clears all other apps.

The problem is that these messages happen asynchronously, so the app can't just malloc:  it has to malloc and then if malloc fails, wait a bit for the other apps to close and then have another go.

That's all fine with apps, but games can't just wait around for the OS to clear up.

Tom

--
Tom Gidden
http://gidden.net/tom